Thursday 27 August 2009

"I'd rather be lucky than good"


Thats one of Yogi Berra's lines. He had a million gems like that. Lines like..........

"This is like deja vu all over again."
"You can observe a lot just by watching."
"He must have made that before he died." -- Referring to a Steve McQueen movie."

"nobody goes there anymore, its too crowded"


Lotta backwards wisdom there.

"I'd rather be lucky than good..."

I've always said there are LOTS of "good" (at whatever they're doing) people out there. But, there are only a few lucky ones. I'd rather be lucky than good. Good is good, don't get me wrong, but lucky is.....well, really good.

Being in the right place, at the right time, usually works out a lot better than being a handy manny type who does everything the old fashioned way. You know, WORKS at it.

So how do you get lucky?

You dont. It gets YOU. I'm not necessarily lucky, dont get me wrong. I said I'd RATHER be lucky than good. Lucky is fun. Lucky is a BLAST, when it works out.

I've been lucky a few times in my life, and I've done things good enough at times to be considered "good" at them, but I'll take lucky anydamnday.

Besides, my tools dont talk to me like Handy Manny's tools do.

The rocks I work with talk to me, (and I've told my boss and a few clients that little tid-bit, and yes I'm stil employed), but I dont have any tools like handy mandy's talking tools. Yet.


Maybe I'll get lucky someday and get some...................

2 comments:

  1. Would you rather be lucky than great, though?

    Great is better than lucky or good!

    Wouldn't you agree?

    ReplyDelete
  2. well seeing how my name is neither Alexander nor Gretzky, great is irrelevent, on a personal level.
    If you're talking philisophically, then yep, being great trumps petty much everything.
    But the list of "greats" is pretty short.

    ReplyDelete